Management on local machine
After installation of Helicon Ape (Full or Free Edition) on Windows 2008 Server or Windows 7 you have a possibility to edit httpd.conf and .htaccess files directly in IIS Manager in the same way as in Helicon Ape Manager.
Management on remote server
In IIS 7 the remote administering functionality was introduced. It became possible to manage IIS on remote server from local machine even with Windows XP on it. Here’s the Microsoft story about it.
- Having the IIS Manager installed, run it.
- Select ‘Connect to a server…’ option if you need to connect to the whole server or ‘Connect to a site…’ if you want to connect to a particular site.
- Input the desired host name, access credentials.
- If you use self-signed certificate, you will get a warning message expressing concerns on whether this cert may be trusted or not. Be persistent and press ‘Connect’ button.
- After that IIS Manager will suggest to download Helicon.Ape.Editor.dll from the server to make remote Ape management possible. Accept this prompt.
- Now you have Ape snap-in for the server/site running locally. And you can manage configuration files (httpd.conf, .htaccess) and licenses (in License Manager) as if working directly on the server.
Summing up it’s worth mentioning that this remote management functionality may be particularly useful for shared hosting clients as they get an opportunity to handle their site(s) by themselves without having to bother the server administrator on the slightest occasion.
Ruslan, Anton – HeliconTech Team